Friday, August 16, 2013

Bye battlecruiser!

What made me happy today? Soon I'll be saying goodbye to the battlecruiser!
Yup, a new car is coming my way. And it was totally unexpected! As you may remember, I got my driver's license recently. When I went to drop off a copy at out human resources department, my colleague informed me that I still had to pick a car.
Wait. Pick a car? But I already have a car... Well, as it turns out, that was not my permanent car. I got to pick a definitive one. Sjeesj, do they spoil me or what? So I had a hard choice to make. I like the battlecruiser a lot. It's a Ford C-max grand, and has a ton of trunk-space. But once you hit 70 kph, it starts to get sluggish. It has a 1.6 diesel engine with 95 hp, but I feel like it's just not enough for a car this size. My battlecruiser can fit up to 7 people, or a ton of luggage. The way it handles in sharper turns isn't that great either. I'm also not convinced of the way the pedals are arranged, for some reason the gas pedal is a lot further away than the breaks... Again, it's a great car but it's also not very eco-friendly. It uses 6.4 l per 100 km, and has a Co2 exhaust of 120 g / km.
So keeping in mind my two most important rules for picking a car (being comfort and trunk space) I got to it. I took a look at the list, immediately eliminated several cars for being to small. And in the end I chose the Volvo V40. Fuel consumption is rated at 3.4 l per 100 km, and the Co2 exhaust is 88 g / km. It has a ton of safety options, which all come standard as Volvo is very engaged towards safety. Like it says on their website 'By 2020, nobody shall be seriously injured or killed in a new Volvo.' And if you see the array of safety features and safety options that are available for the V40 I think they might even manage that. The trunk space is about 100 l less than the battlecruiser, but the Volvo should be a lot more comfortable. So the choice was made.
And then they told me I had to pick a color. Oh dear me. It took me a long time to decide on the car, and I didn't think about that! My first impulse was 'black', as my clothes always are. But then I got to thinking. Black does get warm in the summer, it shows dirt really well and is hard to see when it's dark. Most of the other colors in the range didn't really appeal to me. Several shades of grey and silver weren't for me, I don't really like those. The copper one was a big no, definitely not my thing. That left me with blue and red. I didn't like the shades of blue, and red is a very noticeable color, so red it was!
Now I have to wait a week until I get my new car. But I don't doubt that my battlecruiser will continue to serve me well :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment