Sunday, February 3, 2013

Fifty shades

What made me happy today? iO Tillett Wright's Fifty Shades of Gay TEDx Women talk.
You can watch the video here
Just watch it, and share it. It really touched me...

I realized pretty early in life that love is love. For me, it has never mattered between who this love was (of course, consent and legality are important, but that's another thing). Love is love. It's the same butterflies, happy intoxicated feeling, nerves or pain for everyone. No matter your sexual orientation. No matter if you identify as gay, lesbian, bi, straight or anything in between. Like iO says in the video: 'not enough boxes'. I don't like boxes, my brain does not think in boxes :-)
A person's sexual orientation really does not matter to me. I have gay friends, straight friends, and friends that identify as somewhere in between. They're still my friends. I like them for their personalities.
And for those of you who are waiting on my coming out: not going to happen. It's not because I got my hair cut short that I am a lesbian. I don't like that prejudice.
When it comes to equal rights for gay people, I am lucky to be living in Belgium. Belgium was the second country worldwide to legalize same-sex marriage. Wow.
And on occasion you see heart-warming stories about gay people coming out in the news, or just plain funny ones.
If you are struggling with your sexual orientation, you are not alone. But there are people who can help you. In Belgium, you can take a look at this website. And there are a lot of similar initiatives in other countries, just Google them.
Just remember this: no matter if you are LBGTQ or straight, or any shade of gay; somebody will always love you. And even if it does not seem that way, just remember that it gets better. It really does.

No comments:

Post a Comment