Sunday, February 17, 2013

Epicness

What made me happy today? Let me answer that with another question: what do you get when you ask the Gainax studio, the studio that produced Neon Genesis Evangelion (and a bunch of other anime) to create a saturday morning breakfast cartoon? Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, also known as Gurren Lagann.
This mecha anime is 27 episodes (and two movies) of pure, sheer epicness. If you have never seen it, I strongly suggest you do. But heed my words: do not watch the last 8 episodes + the 2 movies in one go. You will cry, a lot; you will feel very drained and the only thing that you'll want to do is crawl into bed. I made that mistake. Not fun. Unless, of course, you are immune to this or like it.
I really love TTGL. The drawing style is neat and clean. The characters are very well developed and really evole throughout the series. The storyline is extremely epic, even though it all starts small. It ends on a huge scale. There's a lot of humor in the story, but also drama etc. It's hard to describe, as so many emotions come in to play at times. But be prepared, there are going to be episodes when you'll need a tissue. Either because you're laughing so hard or crying. And to top it all off: Boota! Don't know who Boota is? Watch the series!
If you haven't seen it, this may be a spoiler: I really do not like Viral. Gives me the creeps.
Another major plus for this anime is that (again, potential spoiler here) not everyone of the main cast lives until the end of the series. I'm not telling you more, just watch it. You can thank me later :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment