Saturday, January 19, 2013

That knowing look

What made me happy today? Sharing that knowing look with a total stranger.
You know the one I mean. Not the one shared between friends, but the one shared between two total strangers.
Today is Saturday. Saturday for me usually has the same schedule. Get up at a reasonable hour, go to my Pilates class, have a sub for lunch and occasionaly do some shopping, then head on home to do other stuff. This Saturday was no different, but it was rather cold, so I decides to grab a latte at koffie Onan (I've mentioned them before: http://project365-oneyearofhappy.blogspot.be/2013/01/great-friends-and-great-coffee.html). Ok, it was only -1°C but the wind chill was terrible. With my coffee in my hands I was walking back home when it happened.
She and I crossed paths somewhere in the middle of the Diestsestraat. Both holding a take-away cup of coffee. Our eyes met, there's a little moment of recognition (noot because you know each other, but because you're doing the same thing), and we shared that knowing look and a tentative little smile. You know, the look that goes: yeah, it's cold, but the coffee is nice and warm for my hands and all the rest, so enjoy.
It happens on other occasions as well. I wear black clothes all the time. In the winter a lot of people do, but when you meet someone in the summer dressed in all black you may share that knowing look. Kind of like there's this bond between you, even though you don't know each other. Like sharing something, or knowing you're not the only one :-)
That makes me happy, because it makes me feel a bit as if I'm not the only one doing this. If that makes sense...

Also, koffie Onan's latte of the week is caramel. Really tasty! If you have the chance, go get one, it's worth it :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment